Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stewart's, Ocean City, NJ

Stacy and I ditched work (with permission) on Monday and headed to the Jersey Shore. Our shore experiences are almost always based entirely around boardwalk food. We start planning what we want to eat before we even get there. It's kind of gross. Of course, we wanted to do some hot dog research and chose Stewart's after scoping out the scene. For some reason, I keep being drawn to chili dogs even though I'm almost always disappointed. Maybe I'm hoping I'll find one that will help me reach hot dog nirvana? I don't know, but this time was no exception. They actually gave me two chili dogs because of some kitchen miscommunication and I think the teenaged girl behind the counter was too afraid to tell the cooks of the mistake. What am I going to do with two sizable chili dogs, though? This is when I realized that the boardwalk is devoid of homeless people. This is also when I realized that it is weird to offer complete strangers a free chili dog. The hot dog and chili were too salty for me to finish, but the Stewart's root beer was sweet and refreshing and made it easier to deal with the dehydrating effects of all that salt. Sitting on the boardwalk, eating that chili dog, I'd wished I'd kept it simple.

Stacy's PS: Oh hai. The hot dog blog took a trip to Grey Gardens? Nah, I just got a crazy old lady sun hat. I also got a corndog. As far as corndogs go, it was standard: scalding hot, foil cape, wooden stick. I liked it, but I think most of its allure was that I WAS AT THE BEACH AND NOT AT WORK. That said, I always enjoy any location of Stewart's and had a great root beer float. Please note that we are again relying on cell phone pictures. I was trying to kick it old school and bring a film camera, but after a day of blog worthy beach photography (I can only assume since it can't be proved otherwise) the damn camera broke. Sure, it was a toy camera but I didn't expect it to literally fall apart in my hands and expose all my film to daylight. Blurgh. The world will now never see Cathy posing with an Elvis statue or something that looks exactly like a Medieval Times but was not. Stay tuned for an artist rendering (or maybe not since I tend to be lazy).


No comments:

Post a Comment