Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Guest Blogger: Flag Festival 2010


Hi, my name is Meryl of Love, Meryl Judith and thanks to Stacy and Cathy for welcoming me to the blog today!  On Saturday, my boyfriend Joe and I stumbled upon a street fair on our walk from Center City to Northern Liberties.  The event was the 3rd annual Flag Festival at the Betsy Ross house and Arch Street was closed off between 2nd and 3rd Streets.  I love stumbling across street fairs and/or attending them voluntarily.  This one featured face painting, old time photos, carny games, a mesmerizing puppet show and let's not forget, the traditional fair-food cuisine.  

I'm not going to pretend to be a hardcore hot dog fan.  In fact I normally lose interest after eating one very plain and boring hot dog.  (Don't boo me please).  But I love hot dogs for what they represent.  To me they mean summer and barbecues and friends and good times, and so what could have been a more perfectly impromptu lunch than a hot dog at a street fair on the first weekend of June?  


See said hot dog.  As previously described it's as plain as a hot dog with mustard can be.  They did offer relish which Joe topped his hot dog with.  It hit the spot!  So much so, that we didn't need an ice cream cone from the Franklin Fountain cart, which was staring at us longingly.  Since I can't promote a no-brand stand with a white sign for "hot dogs, hamburgers and fries," I will tell you that if you want a delicious ice cream sundae and authentic atmosphere, stop at Franklin Fountain in Old City.  


Now I will leave you with the Punch and Judy puppet show that left me giggling like a 4 year old.  Ta da!



1 comment: