Monday, June 14, 2010

Puttin' on the Dog, Oaks

Word on the street was that a new hot dog place had opened in Oaks recently. Our friend, Colleen, graciously drove us to Puttin' on the Dog even though she doesn't eat meat. Everyone is just getting into the spirit of the hot dog blog and God bless them for that.


I chose the Sloppy Dog -- mustard, cole slaw, and "sloppy" sauce. I did not ask about the sloppy sauce. I just went for it. Turns out that it's just sloppy joe mix. Straight up Manwich. I ate the whole thing, as is my style, but it's definitely low on the list and I don't think I'll go back. The flavors never came together and, like I said, it was just sloppy joe on a hot dog.
On our way back to Colleen's house, we passed a Nathan's hot dog stand, which I hope to visit on our next trip to that area. Did I mention that Colleen's apartment complex has a pool??? Yes, we will be back.


Stacy's PS: One thing Cathy forgot to mention was the abundance of surly teenage boys, which is not something I look for when dining out, especially when they will be preparing my food. After walking in and being greeted by the blank cow eyed stares of five dudes just standing around, I started to rethink our hot dog jaunt. There were four hot dogs to choose from (which is pretty weak for an all hot dog restaurant when you think about it), and I settled on the Mighty Dog, mainly because I like the name. Essentially it was as if someone took the components of a Chicago style dog, minced them, subtracted 50% of the taste and then stuck it on a hoagie roll. It was the equivalent of what I make myself for lunch when I run out of everything else. So yeah, this is our first official thumbs down across the board. For shame, Puttin' on the Dog, for shame!

At least enjoy the pictures courtesy of Colleen, our soon to be veggie dog correspondent.

No comments:

Post a Comment