Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FREE(DOM IS) HOT DOGS

Thank you Stacy and Cathy for your invitation and for tolerating my delayed posting. This is foreign correspondent Kacie, currently stateside to bring you belated hot dog tales.

Part of this year's Wawa Welcome America celebration, the 2nd of July was the annual Independence Park Picnic, otherwise known as Free Hot Dog Day. It was billed as “great food and history free of charge” and unlike the disappointment that was the giant hoagie, this event delivered.

Though crowded (I went at the peak hour of 1pm) it was well organized-- I waited less than 5 minutes before the perky Dietz and Watson staff gave me my dog. They then directed me to the mustard and toppings bar featuring five mustard varietals, an unexpectedly impressive offering for a free event. As for the dog itself? No surprises: tasty and properly grilled, though its only real defining characteristic was its lack of cost... which is fine by me. My America: consistent and free.






1 comment: