Monday, October 11, 2010

California hot dogs

A couple of weeks ago, I was soaking up some rays in California. Sure beats my current activity of sitting on my stoop in Philadelphia, looking at the dirt ring where my only potted plant used to be. Anywhoozle, I couldn't travel to a new state and not check out the hot dog scene. Unfortunately, my trip was full of near misses.

Dogtown Dogs, whose menu boasted a Breakfast hot dog, was not open for breakfast at this street fair in Santa Monica that we discovered at 8:30 in the morning.


Hot Dog Stick on Venice Beach, while intriguing, was not very appealing at 9 in the morning.

I would have gladly tried a Mad Dog in Santa Barbara had it not been for my unfortunate run-in with a chicken teriyaki burrito that tried to pass itself off as the fish burrito I ordered. I was too full and disappointed from lunch to muster the stomach for this posh dog.


Finally, on the last day of the trip, in the happiest place on Earth, I found Pluto's Dog House at Cartoon Town in Disney Land! Yes, this hot dog was made at some time earlier that day and placed in a foil pouch for later serving. No, I did not actually see a kitchen in which this hot dog was prepared. Yes, it was located in a land of fake mountains and store fronts, which were straight out of the stills of Roger Rabbit. No, it did not make me shrink three sizes smaller or grow 10 sizes taller. But I finally fulfilled my hot dog quota for the trip and it was damn worth it. Not many other people can say that they've seen a cartoon dog run out of a court house while they were eating lunch, can they?



No comments:

Post a Comment